Elgin moved into the play-off places as our run of six straight away wins came to an end at Borough Briggs.

All the goals came in the first half as Gavin Price’s men made it five victories in six games. On a mild but breezy day in Moray, the home side were deserved winners and we looked off the pace in the first half as the hosts built up a two-goal advantage.

Binos boss Kevin Rutkiewicz made four changes to the team that drew 0-0 with Stenhousemuir on Tuesday and reverted to the line-up who started the 2-0 win at Brechin.

This was a huge game for both clubs in the race for the top four but it was Elgin – with top scorer Shane Sutherland fit enough only for a place on the bench – who were out the blocks quickly and Nicky Hogarth saved well from Connor O’Keefe after 60 seconds.

Dylan Bikey came close before City took the lead midway through the first half when Smart Osadolor headed home an Archie MacPhee cross from the left.

David Wilson hauled us level with a well-placed 25-yard free-kick into the bottom corner for his fourth goal of the season but Elgin carried more threat and were back in front when the ball broke to Kane Hester and he fired low into the net.

Things got worse just before half-time when Jordan McGregor brought down Hester and MacPhee sent Hogarth the wrong way with the penalty.

Hester and substitute Rabin Omar missed big chances for Elgin in the second half but we also squandered some good opportunities to get back into the game – not least when we were awarded a penalty with 12 minutes left.

Bikey’s positive run saw him upended by Rory McEwan but the League 2 Player of the Month for February saw his tame kick easily saved by Thomas McHale.

Elgin City: McHale, Spark (Cooper 60), MacPhee, Graham, Bronsky, MacEwan, Mackay, Cameron, Hester, Osadolor (Sutherland 75), O’Keefe (Omar 64). Subs (not used): Kelly (GK), Dingwall, Sopel, McDonald.

Scorers: Osadolor 21, Hester 29, MacPhee pen 43

Stirling Albion: Hogarth, McGeachie, Creaney, Banner, McLean, McGregor (Nicoll 46), Wilson (Heaver 78), Docherty, Wright, Bikey, Duffy (Mackin 56). Subs (not used): Stott (GK), Jardine, Hughes, Willis.

Scorer: Wilson 27

Referee: David Dickinson

Crowd: 666