Albion moved up to second place in League 2 thanks to our biggest-ever win at Glebe Park, eclipsing the 5-1 success there in April 1990.

There were five different scorers and it’s now three shut-outs in four games for Kevin Rutkiewicz’s undefeated side, keeping us two points behind leaders Queen’s Park.

Brechin played the second half with 10 men after former Dunfermline defender Gregor Jordan was sent off in first-half stoppage time and Albion Rovers’ win at Annan dropped the hosts to the foot of the table.

Albion were unchanged from the team that beat Annan 1-0 but the weather was different – a perfect autumn day of sunshine and no wind after the storm that hit the country last week.

Brechin confirmed Michael Paton as their new player/manager on Friday, with Gerry McCabe his No 2, and there wasn’t much between the sides before we went ahead in 20 minutes when Jack Leitch fired a fine low shot in off the post from the edge of the box.

City were dealt a double blow when Jordan saw red for a tackle on Declan Byrne and David Wilson found the bottom corner with the resulting free kick from around 20 yards.

The second half was a story of Stirling domination and Andy Ryan headed home a Ross McGeachie cross before winger Scott Roberts found space in the box to fire past Lewis McMinn for the fourth goal.

There was still a quarter of the game left when Ryan teed up Byrne for a confident finish for 5-0 but City avoided further damage as we notched up our biggest victory since beating Albion Rovers by the same score at Cliftonhill in January 2019.

Brechin City: McMinn, McKay, Brown, Bollan, Jordan, Scott, Barron, Makovora (McIntosh 46), Todd (Nawrocki 74), Currie (Inglis 83), Paton. Subs (not used): Trialist (GK), Page, Coupe, Reekie, Luissint.

Stirling Albion: Binnie, McGeachie (Magee 82), Banner, El-Zubaidi (Thomson 82), McGregor, K Roberts, Ryan (Mackin 67), Wilson (Docherty 67), Byrne, Leitch (Heaver 65), S Roberts. Subs (not used): Law (GK), Creaney, Moore.

Goals: Leitch 20, Wilson 45, Ryan 48, S Roberts 58, Byrne 66

Referee: Gavin Ross