Peterhead won at Forthbank for the fourth time in the space of nine months to stay top of Ladbrokes League 2 and leave Stirling seeking their first points of the campaign.

Jamie Stevenson broke the deadlock just before half-time when he curled a 30-yard free-kick in off the post and SPFL record scorer Rory McAllister drove a low shot beyond Calum Ferrie after a Russell McLean assist to seal a third straight win and clean sheet for the Blue Toon.

It was a much-improved display from Dave Mackay’s men – particularly in the first half – but we failed to force Greg Fleming into meaningful action until late in the game and we are above bottom club Albion Rovers only on goal difference as we prepare to travel to Elgin next weekend.

Darren Barr returned from injury for his first appearance of the season and Darren Smith did likewise from the bench but Kevin Moon, Jason Marr and Mark Stewart were all ruled out. Trialist Mark Stowe, a winger previously with Falkirk, was among the substitutes.

Peterhead struck the bar following an early corner but we recovered well and should have gone in front but Kevin Fell dragged his shot wide of the post.

There wasn’t much between the teams but we fell behind when Stevenson scored with a superb free-kick and it was all over when McAllister doubled the Blue Toon’s advantage in 64 minutes.

Stowe forced a good save from Greg Fleming while McAllister missed two good chances to add to Peterhead’s lead as they gained revenge for our Betfred Cup success at Balmoor last month.

Stirling Albion: Ferrie, McGeachie, Allan, Hamilton, Barr, Thomson, McLaughlin (Smith 62), Jardine, P MacDonald, Fell (Stowe 68), Robertson (McLaren 76).
Subs (not used): Binnie (GK), Banner, Docherty, Young.

Peterhead: Fleming, Gibson, J Brown, Eadie, Stevenson, Ferry, Leitch (Norris 80), S Brown, McAllister, McLean (Home 90), Lyle (Kavanagh 65).
Subs (not used): Gibson (GK), Macdonald, McCracken.

Goals: Stevenson 44, McAllister 64

Referee: Craig Napier

Crowd: 543