Our opening game of the season ended in defeat as Betfred Cup Group D favourites Dundee came out on top in their first visit to Forthbank since 2011.

A double from Sofien Moussa and goals from new signing Jean Mendy and Craig Wighton saw Neil McCann’s men secure a comfortable victory but we were well in the game for almost an hour and created some good openings in the first half.

Dave Mackay gave debuts to Jason Marr and Mark Stewart but Jordan Allan was suspended and Darren Smith and Darren Barr both injured. Ross McGeachie captained the side while Dom Docherty, Justin Watson and Kevin Fell made their first appearances from the bench.

Both sides had penalty appeals waved away either side of Moussa missing a sitter for the visitors but he made amends in 39 minutes when he controlled a pass from Genseric Kusunga and smacked the ball past Cammy Binnie from close range.

Binnie saved well from Wighton before the break but the best stop of the game came from Jack Hamilton early in the second half when he somehow kept out Marr’s header following a Danny Jardine corner.

Dundee got the second goal in 57 minutes when Wighton set up the unmarked Moussa to score with a simple header then Mendy found the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Wighton rounded things off with a superb effort via the outside of his foot after being teed up by Glen Kamara and we remain without a win over the Dens Park side since 1978.

Our next is against Brechin City at Forthbank on Tuesday night then we travel to Peterhead on Saturday.

Stirling Albion: Binnie, McGeachie (Watson 71), Thomson, Banner, Marr, Hamilton, Stewart, Moon (Fell 81), Jardine, P MacDonald (Docherty 68), McLaughlin.
Subs (not used): Young, McLaren, M MacDonald, Law (GK).

Dundee: Hamilton, Kerr (Curran 81), Ralph, Kusunga, Meekings, Kamara, Ngwatala (Madianga 70),
Mendy, McGowan, Moussa (Henvey 78),Wighton.
Subs (not used): Caulker, Jefferies, Scott, Parish (GK).

Goals: Moussa 39, 57, Mendy 64, Wighton 69

Referee: Gavin Ross

Crowd: 1,373