Goals at the end of each half sent Clyde into the fourth round of the Scottish Cup despite a strong performance from Kevin Rutkiewicz’s side.

We were the better team in the first half but fell behind to a Darren Smith goal just before the break and David Goodwillie converted a last-minute penalty for the clincher.

Dylan Mackin made his first start for two months in place of the suspended Darryl Duffy and Kevin Nicoll returned from injury in the middle of the park as Kyle Banner dropped to the bench. Clyde welcomed back top scorer Goodwillie, who missed last week’s penalty shoot-out defeat to Inverness CT in the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup.

Stirling had strong appeals for a penalty waved away when Kieran Duffie appeared to bring down Dylan Bikey, then Paul Willis played in Sean Heaver but David Mitchell made a fine save.

The visitors, who won twice here last season, had started the stronger but after the first 10 minutes we looked the more likely to score, only to fall behind as the interval approached.

Tony Wallace picked out Smith with a cross from the right and the former Albion forward beat Blair Currie with a lovely first-time finish although his celebrations were muted.

Binos boss Rutkiewicz was booked by referee Lloyd Wilson before the second half kicked off and we struggled to make inroads against a well-organised Bully Wee side.

Wallace came close for the Broadwood side and Currie made a superb save to tip over a Goodwillie 20-yarder before the former Scotland striker raced clear and was brought down by the keeper for a 90th-minute penalty, which he confidently dinked down the middle.

Stirling might be out but will surely take confidence from the performance into next week’s League 2 game against Elgin City at Borough Briggs.

Stirling Albion: Currie, McGeachie, Creaney, Nicoll, McLean, McGregor, Jardine, Bikey (Wright 83), Heaver (Thomson 83), Mackin (Hawke 88), Willis. Subs (not used): Binnie (GK), Banner, Wilson, Docherty.

Clyde: Mitchell, Duffie (Lamont 43), McNiff, Howie, Rumsby, Grant, Wallace (McMullin 84), McStay, Goodwillie, Cuddihy, Smith (Petkov 68). Subs (not used): McGee (GK), Allison, McNiven, Johnston.

Goals: Smith 45, Goodwillie pen 90

Referee: Lloyd Wilson

Crowd: 820