Substitute Peter MacDonald grabbed a dramatic 93rd-minute equaliser to deny Peterhead a title party in front of 1,371 fans at Balmoor.

The Blue Toon were on course to receive the Ladbrokes League 2 trophy when Jack Leitch fired them in front towards the end of the first half but MacDonald stunned the home side with his 10th goal of the season deep into added time.

The title race now goes to the last day, with Jim McInally’s men two points clear of Clyde and with a better goal difference. Peterhead go to Hampden on Saturday to play Queen’s Park and the Bully Wee travel to Cowdenbeath.

There was a minute’s applause before the match in memory of Celtic and Scottish football legend Billy McNeill, who sadly passed away on Monday at the age of 79.

Binos boss Kevin Rutkiewicz made three changes to the team beaten 1-0 by Cowdenbeath, with Ross McGeachie, Dylan Mackin and Scott Glover coming in for Jordan Allan (suspended), Lee Hamilton (injured) and Ronan Hughes, who dropped to the bench.

On a grey, damp and chilly afternoon in the North East the hosts knew a fourth league win out of four against Albion this season would get them over the line but we held our own for most of a first half short on chances.

Rory McAllister had an effort just wide but there wasn’t too much happening in either penalty box until the deadlock was broken in 37 minutes. Left-back Cammy Thomson gave the ball away and McAllister played in Leitch, who sent a low shot beyond Calum Ferrie.

Leitch missed a good opportunity early in the second half and we were fortunate to escape a red card when Dom Docherty, already on a booking, could have had another one and was immediately replaced by Max Ashmore.

Shane Sutherland should have sealed it for Peterhead when he knocked the ball over the bar from close range but we were struggling to create much and it looked like one goal would be enough.

We had a penalty shout when Lewis McLear went down in the box but the referee wasn’t interested and the home fans were preparing for a party when we conjured up an unlikely equaliser.

Mackin’s header allowed Smith to make inroads down the left and he perfectly picked out MacDonald to turn the ball into the net with a tidy near-post finish.

The result means we stay in fifth place and are now three points clear of Queen’s Park going into our final game of the season against Edinburgh City at Forthbank.

Peterhead: Fleming, Stevenson, Boyle, Eadie, J Brown, Ferry, S Brown, Leitch (Willis 83), Gibson, Dow (Home 88), McAllister (Sutherland 68). Subs (not used): Henderson (GK), Lyle, Riley, Willox.

Scorer: Leitch 37

Stirling Albion: Ferrie, Banner, McGeachie, McGregor, Thomson (Hughes 46), Glover, Docherty (Ashmore 65), Jardine (MacDonald 83), Smith, Mackin, McLear. Subs (not used): Binnie (GK), Greenhorn, Wright, Murray.

Scorer: MacDonald 90+3

Referee: Chris Fordyce

Crowd: 1,371