Goals from Darryl Duffy and Josh Peters sent us into the third round of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup.

It was a fully-deserved win against our League 1 opponents at Bayview and sets up a game against St Mirren Colts in Paisley on September 7 for a place in the last 16.

Kevin Rutkiewicz made five changes to the team narrowly beaten at Central Park but was again without the suspended Ross McGeachie and injured trio Jordan McGregor, James Creaney and Gareth Rodger.

East Fife boss Darren Young handed starts to 16-year-olds Josh McConville and Rory Cosgrove but there was still plenty of experience in their side. The Fifers have already beaten Dundee United and drawn with Hearts this season and host Rangers in the last 16 of the Betfred Cup on Sunday.

We more than held our own in a first half of few clear-cut chances and made the crucial breakthrough in 37 minutes when Dom Docherty played in Duffy and the recent signing from Airdrie beat keeper Jordan Hart with a wonderful dinked finish. Chris Higgins got back to hook the ball clear but the linesman ruled it had already crossed the line.

Stirling had chances to make the game safe in the early part of the second half before the introduction of Ryan Wallace and Anton Dowds sparked the hosts and Cammy Binnie made a fine save from Danny Denholm.

The second goal arrived midway through the half when Paul Willis laid the ball off to Peters and he found the bottom corner with a crisp first-time shot.

Docherty came close to adding a third goal with a free-kick that skimmed the bar but the job had already been done as a strong team performance earned us a first win in this competition since 2014/15.

East Fife: Hart, Higgins, Dunlop, Watson, Denholm (Dunsmore 73), Slattery, Smith (Dowds 57), Hunter, Watt, Cosgrove (Wallace 57), McConville. Subs (not used): Richardson (GK), Murdoch, Agnew, Davidson.

Stirling Albion: Binnie, Truesdale, Lowdon, Nicoll, Banner, McLean, Jardine, Docherty, Duffy (Wright 79), Willis (Scott 90), Peters (Hawke 83). Subs (not used): Currie (GK), Wilson, Thomson, Mackin.

Scorers: Duffy 37, Peters 67

Referee: Grant Irvine

Crowd: 419