Football Club
Stirling 1 Annan 0

Stirling 1 Annan 0

Darren Smith scored the only goal after 74 minutes as we made it five wins on the trot in Ladbrokes League 2 – our best run since 2008/09.

In an even game, which could have gone either way, we ended Annan’s five-match winning streak to move to within seven points of Jim Chapman’s team.

This was another hard-working and determined display and was settled by a quality goal. On-loan Hearts winger Callumn Morrison, on as sub after a long spell out injured, sent over a superb cross from the right and Smith smashed a volley past Blair Currie from six yards for his eighth goal of the season.

Binos boss Dave Mackay made two changes to the team that beat Montrose, with Josh Jeffries and Connor McLaren replacing Blair Henderson and the suspended Liam Caddis. Willie Robertson, Jack McCue, Ross McMillan, Andy Little and Calvin Colquhoun were all ruled out through injury.

It was a keenly-contested match, with a smattering of yellow cards, and the outcome was always in the balance. Ross Kavanagh twice came close to giving us the lead before half-time while Jordan Stewart was only inches away with a 25-yard free kick at the other end.

On-loan Rangers winger Jeffries rattled the bar from distance after the break then Rabin Omar wasted a clear opening for the visitors, Chris Smith saving his weak shot.

Darren Smith made the crucial breakthrough but it took a terrific save from Chris Smith to keep out a Peter Weatherson volley in the last minute, then David McKenna missed a chance, as we completed a home double against Annan and extended our unbeaten run to seven matches ahead of next weekend’s trip to Broadwood.

Stirling Albion: C Smith, Black, McGeachie, R Smith (Wright 70), Quigley, McMullan, Dickson, Jeffries (McLaren 59), McLaren (Henderson 59), D Smith, Kavanagh.
Subs (not used): Binnie (GK), Forsyth, Mills, Petrie.

Goal: D Smith 74

Annan Athletic: Currie, Lucas, Stewart, Krissian, Swinglehurst, Skelton (Smith 77), Wright (McKenna 84), Cuddihy (Fry 63), Weatherson, Omar, Flanagan.
Subs (not used): Mitchell (GK), Bronsky, Home, Dachnowicz.

Referee: David Munro

Crowd: 531