Football Club
Stirling 2 Arbroath 2

Stirling 2 Arbroath 2

Two late, late goals from Sean Dickson earned us a dramatic draw against 10-man Arbroath in Dave Mackay’s first home game as manager at a freezing Forthbank.

Dickson struck from the edge of the box with 30 seconds of normal time left then beat keeper Ricky Gomes with a stunning dipping volley from distance two minutes into added time as we earned a deserved point.

Mackay named the same team that won 3-2 in the last minute at Elgin the previous week, with Willie Robertson again included as a trialist at right-back. Ross McGeachie was fit enough for a place on the bench and impressed when he came on for the final 20 minutes.

By that stage Dick Campbell’s men, who have lost just once in Ladbrokes League 2, were leading 2-0 and looked set to build on the 4-0 win over Clyde the previous week.

After Blair Henderson had fired over when presented with a decent opportunity, the Red Lichties went ahead five minutes before the end of a first half short on chances when ex-Stirling striker Steven Doris did well to divert a cross from the left into the corner.

Arbroath were reduced to 10 men six minutes after the restart when Ricky Little received a second yellow card for hauling down substitute Ross Kavanagh and Eddie Ferns should have equalised with a header shortly after the hour mark.

The visitors doubled their advantage in 68 minutes when Ryan McCord set up Omar Kader and he cut in off the left touchline and beat a defender before finding the net with a low drive for a terrific goal.

We created a number of chances, with Gomes denying Scott Davidson and Marc McKenzie, among others, before Dickson fired home from the edge of the box. It looked like being merely a consolation until he grabbed his fourth goal of the season with a spectacular strike as it ended 2-2.

The result leaves us seventh in the table, seven points outside the top four, but the never-say-die spirit again shown by the players bodes well for Saturday’s Scottish Cup tie against Wick Academy at Forthbank and the forthcoming league games away to Berwick Rangers and Edinburgh City.

Stirling Albion: C Smith, Robertson, Petrie, R McMillan, Scott Davidson, Hodge (Kavanagh 46), Beith, McKenzie, Dickson, Ferns (McGeachie 69), Henderson.
Subs (not used): R Smith, Mills, Morrison, Docherty, Binnie (GK).

Goals: Dickson 90, 90+2

Arbroath: Gomes, Gold, Sukar, Little, Hamilton, Whatley, Kader (Callaghan 89), McCord (Phillips 90), Doris, Scott, Linn (Malin 89).
Subs (not used): Prunty, Dunlop, Mutch (GK).

Goals: Doris 40, Kader 68

Referee: David Munro

Crowd: 605