It was 70 years ago today that we played our first ever match, beating Airdrieonians 3-1 in a friendly watched by 5,000 fans at Annfield.
On Saturday 11 August 1945, goals from Sanders, Campbell and McKeown gave Stirling Albion a historic victory against an Airdrie team that included a certain Peter McKenzie, who of course later became SAFC owner and chairman before selling the club to the Supporters Trust in 2010.
In May 1945, Tom Fergusson, who became director/manager, and others, made the decision to restart senior football in the town (now city) following the demise of Kings Park and Annfield Estate was purchased for a sum of £5,000.
A vast amount of work – most of it voluntary labour – was required to get the pitch ready that summer, with several trees felled in the process.
The Supporters Club also provided tradesmen of every description to help with the huge task of providing dressing rooms and associated facilities in the Mansion House.
The efforts paid off and, in weather described as more suitable for cricket than football, the following team lined up at Annfield: Pidgeon, Paterson, Mulgrew, Wilkie, Harrison, Moffat, Duncan, Harley, Campbell, Carruth, McKeown.