Football Club
Stirling Albion 1 Berwick 0

Stirling Albion 1 Berwick 0

Midfielder Mark Ferry settled a tight encounter with a dramatic late winner as we earned a crucial victory over Berwick at Forthbank.

The game appeared to be heading for a goalless draw when Ferry popped up at the back post to smash home a Scott Davidson cross and avenge our recent reverse at Shielfield.

The result means we have lost just once in 11 games during February and March and leaves us eight points short of the play-offs, with a game in hand against Queen’s Park at Hampden on Tuesday.

Berwick’s defeat sees them drop out of the top four to be replaced by Peterhead but they will feel they should have travelled back south with a point.

We went into the game without Jamie Bishop (suspended) and Ross Forsyth (injured) but Brian Allison and Kieran McAnespie returned from bans.

It was a difficult day to play football, with a dry bobbly pitch, but we ground out a vital victory and claimed back-to-back shut-outs after the 0-0 draw at Ibrox.

The closest to a goal in the first half came when Berwick’s Darren Lavery hit the post from 20 yards and Sam Filler saved the follow-up from Damian Gielty.

Jordan White was thwarted by Marc McCallum at the other end and our top scorer came close with a header from a Jamie McCunnie cross just before the break.

The visitors almost made the breakthrough early in the second period but we survived a goalmouth scramble and chances were generally few.

Ferry was the home hero with a terrific finish for his 10th goal of the season and White came close to a second in stoppage time but he was denied by McCallum after latching on to a superb Davidson pass.

The only negative was a knee injury suffered by Allison that looks set to keep him out of the midweek match with Queen’s Park but Forsyth could return.

Stirling Albion: Filler, McCunnie, McAnespie, McClune, Allison (Ashe 84), Thom, Flood (Weir 60), Ferry, White, Davidson, Johnston (Cunningham 74).
Subs (not used): Day, Crawford (GK).

Scorer: Ferry 87

Berwick Rangers: McCallum, Jacobs, Hoskins, Townsley, McLean, Currie, McLaren, Notman, Lavery (McDonald 72), Dalziel (Carse 80), Gielty.
Subs (not used): Janczyk, Addison, McDonald (GK).

Referee: George Salmond

Crowd: 601