Football Club
Stirling Albion 2 Clyde 0

Stirling Albion 2 Clyde 0

Albion extended their unbeaten run to five matches to move off the foot of the table as Clyde slipped to the bottom on goal difference.

The Bully Wee had won the previous two meetings between the teams but we gained revenge with a solid success to notch up a seventh home victory in 2012/13 – a tally bettered only by Rangers.

Greig McDonald made one change to the team that had beaten Annan 2-1 in midweek, with midfielder Kieran McAnespie restored to the side. Young striker Sandy Cunningham dropped to the bench while defensive duo Ross McGeachie and the suspended Brian Allison missed out.

Graham Weir passed a late fitness test on a calf knock but suffered a hamstring strain midway through the first half. Cunningham replaced him but was himself forced off with a hand injury and both are doubtful for Tuesday’s game against runaway leaders Rangers at Forthbank.

McAnespie fired the Binos in front after just five minutes with his first goal of the season after being set up by top scorer Jordan White at the end of a fine move.

We doubled the lead in 32 minutes when midfielder Mark Ferry swept the ball home for his seventh goal of the campaign after ex-Falkirk keeper Jamie Barclay had pushed out a shot from White.

David Crawford made an important save from Kieran McGachie just before the break and Stuart McColm missed a great chance for Clyde on the hour mark when he scooped the ball over but we rarely looked in danger of surrendering our lead.

Cunningham could have added a third goal but was unable to convert White’s cross from close range. It didn’t matter, though, as we saw the game out comfortably to secure an important victory as Clyde suffered a third straight defeat.

Stirling Albion: Crawford, McCunnie, Forsyth, McClune, Bishop, Thom, McAnespie, Ferry, White, Weir (Cunningham 21) (Davidson 72), Johnston (Flood 90).
Subs (not used): McSorley, Filler (GK).

Scorers: McAnespie 5, Ferry 32

Clyde: Barclay, Kane, MacDonald, Gray (Fitzharris 51), Lyden, Hay, Nicoll, Sweeney (MacBeth 79), Watt, McGachie, McColm (Fitzpatrick 74).
Subs (not used): Scullion, Rajovic (GK).

Referee: Colin Steven

Crowd: 604