Football Club
Montrose 3 Stirling Albion 2

Montrose 3 Stirling Albion 2

Scott Davidson’s double wasn’t enough to prevent us from slipping to defeat as in-form Montrose extended their good run to just one defeat in nine matches.

The Binos created plenty of chances on the plastic pitch and could well have come away with a point but Stuart Garden’s men were also a big threat going forward and secured their second victory over Albion this season when on-loan Dundee striker Leighton McIntosh struck after 61 minutes.

It was 2-2 at the interval, with Davidson cancelling out efforts from Jamie Winter then Garry Wood but we were unable to carve out our first away league win and remain a point behind East Stirlingshire, who we face at Ochilview on Wednesday.

Stirling made their first visit to Links Park since a 5-1 Challenge Cup defeat in August 2007 looking for a third straight win after recent victories over Berwick and Peterhead but our inability to avoid conceding goals on the road proved our downfall despite a spirited performance.

Montrose, who won 3-1 at Forthbank in October, started strongly and Leighton McIntosh missed a great chance after 30 seconds, Wood fizzed an effort inches wide and Leighton McIntosh hit the inside of the post.

Just as we seemed to be gaining a foothold in the game, the Gable Endies took the lead when Winter smashed home a 25-yard free-kick – Mark Peat got a hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out.

It took just two minutes for us to equalise. Davidson found space in the box and beat Sandy Wood with a fine finish via the post, and we almost went ahead when Graham Weir rattled the woodwork from distance.

Montrose, unchanged for the fifth match in a row, stormed back and Wood forced a fine save from Peat and Stephen Day cleared a header off the line before the hosts regained the lead when ex-Ross County hitman Wood headed home.

Steven Weir, starting instead of top scorer Jordan White, fired wide with only the keeper to beat but Davidson equalised when he gathered a terrific pass and held off a defender to roll the ball into the corner for his fifth goal of the campaign.

Leighton McIntosh claimed the decisive goal shortly after the hour mark but we came close to a third equaliser of the afternoon when Mark Ferry lashed a shot into the side netting with two minutes left.

Montrose: S Wood, McNally, Watson, J Crawford, Campbell, Winter, Young (Gray 58), Masson, L McIntosh (Morton 84), G Wood, R McIntosh (Johnston 67). Subs (not used): McLeish, D Crawford (GK).

Scorers: Winter 24, G Wood 35, L McIntosh 61

Stirling Albion:
Peat, McGeachie, McAnespie, McClune, Thom, Allison (McCunnie 46), G Weir, Ferry, S Weir (McSorley 84), Davidson, Day (Flood 75). Subs (not used): Macpherson, Filler (GK).

Scorers: Davidson 26, 44

Referee: Don Robertson

Attendance: 336