Football Club
East Stirlingshire 3 Stirling Albion 1

East Stirlingshire 3 Stirling Albion 1

Stirling Albion suffered a fourth straight defeat as East Stirlingshire came from behind to win their first league match of the season on a day to forget for the Binos at Ochilview.

Scott Davidson was sent off after 27 minutes for aiming a kick at Kevin Turner and, although Mark Ferry gave us the lead early in the second half, three goals in the last 20 minutes from Scott Maxwell, David Greenhill and Nathan Shepherd did the damage.

We are now joint bottom of the table, along with East Stirling, ahead of next weekend’s trip to Berwick Rangers.

Greig McDonald made three changes to the team beaten 2-1 by Queen’s Park a fortnight ago, with Ross McGeachie and Danny Ashe replacing injured full-backs David McClune and Kieran McAnespie while Davidson got the nod ahead of Stephen Day.

Albion came close through Gary Thom and Graham Weir before Davidson saw red. The hosts initially struggled to make the extra man count and we took the lead in 55 minutes when Ferry ran clear to fire a low shot beyond Grant Hay.

Turner missed a first-half sitter for the Shire but they were a side transformed as the match wore on and it was no surprise when Scott Maxwell guided a fine shot into the corner for the equaliser with 20 minutes remaining.

The woodwork saved Stirling soon after but it was a temporary reprieve. Keeper Mark Peat came a long way for a cross and was beaten to the ball by David Greenhill, whose header rolled into the empty net.

Ex-Stranraer winger Nathan Shepherd, who Shire boss John Coughlin credited with changing the game when he came on at half-time, sidestepped a defender to score the third goal in stoppage time and seal a miserable afternoon.

It was our first defeat in this fixture since a 3-0 setback at Firs Park in February 2002 and ends Albion’s 10-match unbeaten run of nine wins and a draw against our local rivals, who are due at Forthbank on December 1.

East Stirlingshire: Hay, Jackson, Kelly, Miller (Shepherd 46), Dunlop, Hunter, Herd (Begg 79), Devlin (Hume 86), Turner, Greenhill, Maxwell. Subs (not used): Glasgow, Gordon (GK).

Scorers: Maxwell 70, Greenhill 81, Shepherd 90

Stirling Albion: Peat, McGeachie, Ashe, McSorley, Allison, Thom, Flood (Day 60), McCulloch (McCunnie 69), G Weir (S Weir 75), Davidson, Ferry. Subs (not used): Clark, Filler (GK).

Scorer: Ferry 55

Referee: Gavin Duncan

Crowd: 487